background

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Food Frenzy

Lately I have been watching a lot of documentaries about food.  It has become a mini obsession really.  Because food is something so close to my heart I make it my business to find out everything I can about it.  I get excited when I discover that carrots come in psychedelic colours and patterns.  I also love how food connects us to complete strangers.  Just last week I spoke to a British grandma about roasting parsnips and cooking with beet root.  On the surface this woman and I seem to have nothing in common.  Yet in a supermarket we appeared like besties.  We parted with our traded secrets tucked neatly in our mental cooking folders.

This past year we ordered half a cow.  It was the most cost effective way to enjoy organic beef.  Every time I cooked some of this meat I feel proud that I took one small step to ensuring that some of our food is just food.  I am also angry that we have to pay so much for food the way it was meant to be consumed.  How is it cheaper to eat food that has been genetically altered or soaked with preservatives?

What are you in a food frenzy about?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Eggs. We bought 5 chickens for the exact same reason. Now we're enjoying free range, fresh eggs from our own chickens. I wish I could buy a cow so I could get my own milk, make my own butter and cheese and not have to deal with all the hormones and junk.

I'd LOVE to be able to buy a half a cow someday!