background

Monday, January 10, 2011

Temple Love: Working on the Work Out



Working on the Work Out
I loved working out with our new Wii Fit from Monday to Friday.  Sometimes my children worked out with me and sometimes it didn't quite work out having them around while I worked out.  Most mornings they would play around me while I boxed, stepped and ran my way to fitness.

On two occasions my husband came downstairs to find toddlers dodging my rhythm lacking steps and my boxing moves.  He found that situation overwhelming.  I'll admit for most people it might have looked more zoo than family.  But for me it worked.  I could work out without the help of any one's schedule.  My husband wasn't convinced.  Later that night he asked why I couldn't work out while the kids were in bed. His comment felt a little like a misplaced slap in the face.  I explained that I am a morning person and after being an active member of the children's lives for at least 12 hours a day the last thing I wanted to do was lift a finger, leg, butt cheek- anything.  Men!

My hair paid a big price for this week of working out.  For those of you who have naturally straight hair you won't get this- so just skip this and move ahead.  For the rest of you on-line hugs will be needed.  I enjoyed working out but not the feeling of sweat trickling through my scalp and leaving a trail of curls where I just wanted smoothness.  Okay I sound like a baby- I'll stop.

With all the flu induced diets floating around the Internet I knew that food was going to be a problem.  I have been sick 4 times in the last month and I have never found the courage to be sick of food.  I used the old Weight Watchers Point system and I like that it forced me to be more conscious of what I put in my mouth.  But by the 2 day I had used up all my extra points and craved more sweets than ever.  I felt like I was thinking about food too much and that is never a good thing for me.

Looking forward to my exercise program with my Wii and eating well.  (Thank goodness I finished all my Christmas chocolate last week!)

How did you show love to your temple?

5 comments:

Alida Sharp said...

I understand your feelings about your hair!!

I keep hearing such good things about the Wii. My husband and I alternate between walking to do errands and riding our bikes. Today I walked... it wore me and my hair out!

Mining for Diamonds said...

How do I show love to my temple? Um, I guess I don't. At least, I don't work out, that is! For shame. I've had some health issues in the past year so I need to pay more attention to what's going on in my body. I need to get moving...do Zumba, find a dance class, something! (To me, dance is FUN! Dancing sounds SO much better than "working out"!) Good for you for fitting it in!

I can empathize about the hair. I could devote a whole post to hair! In fact, I think I will one day! Maybe that's another reason I don't work out...I don't like to sweat! And hair is an orDEAL when it comes to liquids! You know it!

Mandy said...

Oh the hair issue.. I hear ya! Mine isn't curly.. it's wavy. If I workout it is not just wavy but FRIZZY and wavy... not fun!

I've been trying to work out more.. I used to be an avid exerciser and lost my touch when we moved to a new house, and then we got two foster sons... so life has been nuts! But, really, this is the time I need to take care of myself the most! Can't give what you don't have!

Unknown said...

Kudos to you for having made it through a week of exercising! I haven't gotten into the rhythm of that again, but we've been pushing hard on the fruits and vegetables, not only for diet health, but to stave off all the sickness that's been going around. So far, so good!

Mandy said...

Bravo to you for exercising with the kids and husband underfoot! My girls are 10 and 14 and enjoy making fun of me (all in good fun) if I attempt to exercise on the Wii with them. I really enjoyed going to Zumba last year, but my schedule's hectic enough with out one more place to go, so I bought Zumba for the Wii! Last year I tried to run and didn't get far for whatever reason. That's something I'm going to tackle again this year...oh, more water and less Dr. Pepper!