background

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Wholesome Sweetness

The past week I have been cooking up a storm.  I took loads of pictures hoping that I could write a few recipes for the blog.  I have mentioned before how much I love cook books and how I read recipes like short stories.  So that's why it was a little heart breaking when I discovered that I hate writing recipes.  Most of the time I don't follow recipes in the dozen of cookbooks I own.  I just like to feel the pages, get some eye candy and get inspired. Lately I have been in love with my "Where Women Cook" magazine.  (I am really hoping someone will get me the book for Christmas! Hello mom are you listening?)

So instead of writing the recipes for the things I have made this week I have decided to give you some eye candy to inspire you and your pots and pans.

(From left to right: cinnamon bread slices & loaf, curry chicken with paneer and raita, cinnamon bread roll,  and banana nut bread with maple syrup frosting.)


The cinnamon slice was inspired by an image I found at Pinterest.  The loaf and the roll were inspired by the Pioneer Woman's cinnamon roll recipe.  I have used this recipe to make rosemary rolls, garlic rolls, Parker house rolls and much more.  We love the rolls with our pulled pork!

Sometimes inspiration comes from a sale sign at the grocery store.  This definitely applies to the Indian meal I made this week. Paneer was on sale and I couldn't resist. Paneer is this Indian cheese that you can fry and add to lots of different  dishes.  It has a smooth texture and soaks up all the flavours of the dish it sits in.  Lovely isn't it.  I like it with spinach or peas.  I don't use a recipe for this but I'm sure there are a lot out there.

Because it is spring and the sugar bush is buzzing I had to make some maple syrup inspired goodies.  Since someone told me that maple syrup has more calcium than milk I have gone out of my way to find reasons to use this duct tape for food ingredient.  I decided to make a Maple Syrup frosting for my banana nut bread.  I'm not usually a frosting kinda girl but I searched far and wide for crevices to smother frosting over.  Soooo goooood.  Amen.  Thank you Jesus!

And just like that I'm done for the night.

What inspires you to get up and cook?

No comments: