background

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Protein Gluten and Dairy Free Apple Spice Muffins

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPad App


Since I started our family on our gluten, dairy, soy, preservative, refined sugar etc... free way of life my passion for baking and cooking has taken a bit of a nose dive. I tried baking gluten free bread by using my own knowledge of baking. Big mistake. The bread tasted horrible and the texture was disastrous.

I recently started summer holidays and I've taken some time to get to know more about gluten and dairy  free clean baking. I've looked at a few good sites and found some recipes that  my kids love.  My favourite site is Gluten Free Girl and the Chef.   The recipes are clear and easy to follow but also show evidence of a love of good food.  Another site I like is Heather Strang.  Her recipes are very yummy.  Here is a recipe that I adapted from Heather Strang's site using what I had in the kitchen. Feel free to check out her version.

This recipe makes just a little over 2 dozen.
1/2 cup oil (coconut is great)
1 cup coconut sugar
1 ripe banana
Mix these until somewhat smooth

Mix in 3 eggs

Stir in 2 cups applesauce (Homemade and a little chunky. I added 2 ripe pears to mine.)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence

Add per-mixed
1 cup quinoa flour 1
1/2 brown rice flour
3 tablespoon of rice protein powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

 Spoon a heaping tablespoon into muffin cups. (I line it with paper cups) Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. The kids loved these. I'm sure you will too!


No comments: