background

Monday, November 1, 2010

Just Wading Around



I try to get some quiet time before I get the kids up to reflect and pray- a little.  Today I came across some words of wisdom.  Each morning I visit the Proverbs 31 Ministries.  I usually find inspirational devotions that motivate me to stay on track.  Today was no exception! I just wanted to share this simple but true statement form Marybeth's post.  
I wanted to be a mother but I didn't want the sleepless nights and being stretched to the point of breaking. I wanted to be married but I didn't want to learn how to get along with another person day in and day out, to discover what sacrifice really means. I wanted to be a novelist but I didn't want to have to work so hard to make it happen. I wanted to lose weight but I didn't want to exercise daily or control my cravings. I wanted what I wanted, and God used those desires to build my character along the way, and draw me closer to Him in the process.
Sometimes when you are in the middle of a storm your only focus is how to get out and survive that storm.  Lately that has been my mindset.  How to I get through marriage difficulties, challenges with my children and financial worries.  I just want to get to the other side unscathed!  Marybeth reminded me that the wading is where I will learn the most. I have the potential to grow some fruit and nourish the lives that rely on me.  The opportunity to really shine is greater in this darkness.

I am looking forward to coming out the other end today but I am also going to take a new look at my challenges! How about you?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Myrtle, you have no idea how timely this post is for me as well. With a husband that's been unemployed for almost three years, my being just shy of 50 years-old with a 4 year-old daughter that is strong-willed and independent, and so many other normal storms of life, I need to "count it all joy" that my character is being honed and the rough edges smoothed out by Him.

Thank you for passing those beautiful words along.