background

Friday, October 8, 2010

Chicken Chowder- Freezer Style

Sweet Jeanette

Today I am visiting Sweet Jeannette.  I love this site because it makes me wish I was southern and who can resist recipes that hug your tummy and your appetite?

Hi everyone, I am so happy to visit this yummy part of blog world.  Here is a little about my self.  I am a former elementary school teacher who has decided to stay home to raise my 4 children (5 and under).  Our life is very busy and has it's share of ups and downs.  I try to sweeten it by giving my children meaningful experiences that don't cost much and a decent meal made with my own loud-sometimes-messy-always-willing-to-try-something-new kind of love.  Hope you enjoy the recipe!



I love having dishes in the freezer for those days of shopping for the holidays and busy weeks with the kids.  It is nice to know you have a meal ready to go that everyone will enjoy.  We recently made this for our Kitchen Club at church. One of the members called the next day to say how much the family enjoyed it.  I try to put as many vegetables as I can for the kids.


Pretty isn't it?  I love it when food looks this good!


You can use any kind of chicken you want.  We used thighs at the Kitchen Club.

I thought about making a Chicken Chowder and then a Chicken Pot Pie.  I use the Chicken Chowder recipe to make my chicken pot pie.  Now I have more 'splaining to do because usually I cook/bake from scratch, but sometimes I use a base for my chowder.  (Also, they were on sale.)  I hope you enjoy making them.



Ingredients:
The Soup
3 tablespoons of butter
1 large Shallot minced
2 medium carrots diced
1/2 head of broccoli
4 fresh corn (cut)
1 cup of fresh peas
3 cans of clam chowder (buy a good quality one)
2 cups of milk
sprinkle of celery seed (or you can use 2 celery sticks if you like)
3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1 large garlic clove minced
4 Chicken legs or Two chicken breasts



The Pie Part
2 cups of Bisquick mix (I make my own in bulk.  I use it for bisquicks, my cowgirl casserole, and pancakes.)
1 cup of milk
3/4 cup of grated cheese
1/4 cup of flour



Put butter in a large heavy pot and melt over medium heat.  Add shallots, carrots, corn, broccoli, garlic, salt and pepper and cook until tender.  Add clam chowder, milk, garlic, celery, fresh peas and chicken.  Cook until it has thickened a bit and the chicken is cooked.

Once the chicken is cooked, remove the chicken and cut it up.  Return the chicken to the pot and stir.

Divide the soup into two containers.  Serve some of the soup as it is and reserve some for freezing. 


Pot Pie Part

Mix the Bisquick mix, flour and grated cheese together.  Make a well in the middle and add the milk.  Stir with a fork and form it into a ball.  If it is very sticky add a little more floor.  It should feel soft and  a little sticky not wet.  Turn dough onto a work surface and shape into the shape of your dish making sure it is not more than 1/2 an inch. 


Use a sharp knife (it will make them rise higher) to cut the dough into diamonds.  Place the dough on the dish.  

Your pot pie is ready for freezing. There are several options when it comes time to bake your pot pie.  You can just place the dish in the freezer as is.  If you want your dough to rise higher you can half bake them and then freeze. Or you can bake the whole thing and freeze it and reheat.  

Let the pot pie defrost in the refrigerator. Don't forget to brush with some melted butter. Place in a very hot oven (425) and bake for 15-18 minutes (until the tops are golden brown.)

From our kitchen to your table.

Heard around the table...
"Mom you are the best maker." Kiran 3 years old
"Amazing." Greg 40 somehting
"Can I have some more biscuits please?" Cohen 5 years old
"Yummy, Yummy for my tummy!" Kiran 
Pin drops, crickets chirping, pregnant pauses. Hannah 2 years old (Think she liked it!)


Thanks for the visit Jeanette!
Myrtle from Myrtle's Turtles

6 comments:

Alex Johnson said...

"Cheese? Check. Corn? Check. Biscuits? Check. Chicken? Check."
Seems like a great combination to me!

Looks delish!

Keli said...

That looks amazing!!

Thanks for the follow! I'm following you back. Hope to see you next week at Friendly Wednesday!
Have a great week!

www.savingthosedollars.blogspot.com

stephanie said...

There is a bloggy award for you on my blog! But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pressure to follow the rules! Just wanted to know you are one of my fav's in the world of blogginess!!!

Diane Brooks said...

Beautiful photos and description. Well Done! I would love to hear to learn more about your Kitchen Club. A future blog post maybe?

Anonymous said...

OH MY!!! I want the left overs! That looks incredibly delicious... Thanks for sharing!

Sistergirl said...

Just hoppin by, I saw your chicken recipe and I am going to try it and let you guys know how it turned out. It looks delicious and reminds me of grandma.