background

Monday, September 6, 2010

The Best-Worst-Sore-Loser Ever



This weekend my friend Libby invited our family and CC's family over for dinner.  I was supposed to host a Martini Partini but I was just not organized enough.  So Libby invited us over for hamburgers and sausages.  I decided to make a blueberry nectarine pie for the occasion.  I love making pie crust.  It is simple but complex.  I love the challenge of mixing a few ingredients until they are just right and then hoping everything stays put.  I phoned Libby to let her know that I was bringing over a pie.  Well she informed me that CC was also bring over a pie.  So naturally we had a Pie-Off.  As I hung up the phone I started to panic.  Did I mention that CC was making a PEACH pie?  Peach pies are pretty to look at and taste sweet and smooth.  I panicked.  Even though this was a friendly competition - I knew it would get out of hand.  Both CC and I are very competitive ladies.

When I arrived at Libby's I announced that I had to bake my pie at her house because I liked my pie hot.  Then I eyed it.  The peachy dream sitting on Libby's table.  The pie was beautiful.  It had a raised edge and the light golden colour that is envied by all pie makers.  I knew this Pie-off was over.  Yet I still hung on the hope that the blueberry pie with an ALL butter crust could win.  Libby served everyone one slice of each with ice cream.  When I took a bite of CC's pie I knew it was really over.  The pie was sweet with a flaky flavourful crust.  Very unusual for an all shortening pie.

Now I need to explain why I am the Best-Worst-Sore-Loser ever.  Usually when I lose a competition or a game I am known for throwing things and stomping away in defeat.  Very immature. I know.  My husband and I used to play Backgammon on a regular basis.  We stopped when he realized I would never be a gracious loser.  But things have changed.

When I tasted CC's pie these words came out of my mouth easily and pleasantly, "You won. Congratulations." I was actually surprised to hear it.  If I hadn't actually said those words I would not have believed it.  I became a gracious loser.  For once.  Isn't that something to be thankful for?

Here are some others:

-last minute invites
-babies who sleep
-my mother
-CC's gracious win
-vanilla ice cream with hot pie
-wasabi mustard
-super sausages
-Ikea $1 breakfasts
-gracious loses

Join Ann Voskamp as she encourages us to give thanks.

8 comments:

Misty said...

myrtle i'm not always a very gracious winner, either. so i understand the shocking moments where we realize He's growing us up! and man, those pies sound mighty tasty! :) i made strawberry-blueberry cobbler, does that count? do i automatically win b/cs it was a cobbler? (ahem/wink)

Anonymous said...

Gracious losing is hard... I am with you on that one. My husband thought I was the least competitive person in the world because I never played games in a group setting and then once I did - and he realized that I HATE TO LOSE (so I just stay away from playing)... now he always laughs at me, esp. since his mom is exactly the same way in that matter...

Thanks for sharing this!

Mandy said...

I found your blog from Girlfriends Get Real...really enjoyed this post and look forward to reading more!

Chanel said...

I am like you and don't like to lose but in this situation I think that losing would be less painful. My father and I used to have bake-offs all the time. It was so much fun.

Amy said...

How fun! I am still learning the art of pie making. I love the pic your posted, too!

livinginbetween said...

Oh, how funny! I'm all for losing if I get to eat something better . . . :)

At our old church we used to have chili cookoffs, and I never won, but all the tasting -- well, it was worth the loss!

Giving thanks with you for yummy hot pie, especially with ice cream.

livinginbetween said...

Oh, how funny! I'm all for losing if I get to eat something better . . . :)

At our old church we used to have chili cookoffs, and I never won, but all the tasting -- well, it was worth the loss!

Giving thanks with you for yummy hot pie, especially with ice cream.

CC said...

Well Myrtle,

I love you and your competitive self! You were very gracious about the pie - and just for the record - Myrtle even LAUGHED about it afterwards!!! Super gracious points from God for this one!

I promise you - you are one of the best bakers/cooks I have had the privilege to eat from!! And if we ever have another bake-off (apple pie or pumpkin next?), I'm sure you'll win!! I'll just have to be as gracious a loser as you.......

Love always,
CC