background

Monday, September 13, 2010

My Mother's Dedicated Ambition


Today is the day I have been waiting for.  My new website Marmee's Circle launches today!  This venture was inspired by the talented and driven women I have met over the past 2 years.  Most of all it is dedicated to my mother!

I was born in a very small island called Dominica.  My mother had me when she was very young and my father died when I was 6 years old.  I will always admire my mother because of the decisions she made after this terrible incident.  My mother could have stayed in the comfort of her family and friends and seek the expected.  She could have settled for "it worked for me", or "I turned out okay- so will she".  She could have stayed and given my life an "okay shot".  She didn't.



My mother came to Canada by herself without a person to connect to.  She was only 23 years old.  She left me behind so she could work.  It must have been agonizing that the only way she could provide a better life for me was by leaving me.  The thoughts and anguish that would torment her every night- I can only imagine.  The early years in Canada were rough for my mother.  She was called a monkey and other racists names that I won't repeat.  She was treated like a second class citizen.  She was beaten down by the racist names and terrible treatment by her employers.  As she bathed another child, she must have cried for the opportunity to take care of her own.  As she cleaned a house, her heart must have sank with the reminder that she was very far from home.



When I arrived a year later my mother's devotion went into overdrive.  She worked all day, went to school at night and paid another family to take care of me.  She rarely got to go on the trips to Florida, Atlantic City and so on that I went every year.  I sit and think how hard it must have been for her to work so hard but never enjoy the fruits of her labour.  We spent time together on weekends. I missed her so much during the week.  She would often come to my bed and kiss me at night when she got home.  Even though my mother's life was difficult she never complained.  She did not develop a hardened view of the world or grow weary in her desire to provide a better life for me.  She used all that to propel her (and her daughter) into a better situation.  Because of her I had stability in the midst of loss and chaos. Because of her I became a follower of Christ.  Because of her I learned the value of people instead of things. Because of her I was given the education she dreamed of.  Because of her I had a chance.

Today my prayer of thanks is simply,

Thank you Lord for my mother's dedicated ambition.  Thank you for her desire for more time with me, better role models, and a life rich with experiences that propel.

Join me at 7:00 pm est today as I celebrate Marmee's Circle and the dedicated women like my mother - Emelda!

I join Ann Voskamp every Monday to give thanks.



holy experience

5 comments:

Alex Johnson said...

Your mother sounded like an amazing woman. Simply amazing. Thank you for sharing both of your stories with us.

Unknown said...

The foundation that our parents lay for us can be passed along as we lay the same base for our children. Like you, I'm grateful that my parents' were centered in Christ and made sure that we were too. Blessings to you and your mother.

Misty said...

stability in a season of loss and chaos... that is the best case for any parent to hope to be! i'm so glad you have her and give thanks for her!

Alex Johnson said...

I'm so sorry, for some reason I didn't realize your mother was still alive. My apologies.

Mandy said...

What a wonderful post! Your mother sounds like an extrodinary woman.