background

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Chicken For Two (Meals)

When the weather starts turning on me (by getting colder) I turn to my soups for comfort and warmth.  We have this great little farmers market near our house and what a treat it was.  I wish I had taken some pictures!  There were butter-tarts (you know how much I love me some butter tarts), fresh vegetables, fresh sweet popped corn, sausages to die for and the best honey I have ever tasted.  I spent about 40.00 there.  I could have doubled that.  Oh and I almost forgot about the cheese and rye bread.  Ohhhh I need to write this recipe quick- I'm salivating!


So I picked up all the fresh ingredients from this very sweet farmer.  He caught my eye because he was so polite and attentive.  He found my kids amusing so naturally he was a good catch- for my friend's sister.  I don't know if it was the pollen I tried at the previous stand or the smell of sweet popped corn but he made a good impression on me.  I vowed to return with my friend's sister in tow.  We will see what happens.  Okay I have some 'splaining to do... I love to match make.  It is one of my most favourite actives.  I dream about opening a match making service one day!


Now for the recipe.  With all these fresh vegetables I thought about making a Chicken Chowder and then a Chicken Pot Pie.  I use the Chicken Chowder recipe to make my chicken pot pie.  Now I have more 'splaining to do because usually I cook/bake from scratch, but sometimes I use a base for my chowder.  (Also, they were on sale.)  I hope you enjoy making them.



Ingredients:
The Soup
3 tablespoons of butter
1 large Shallot minced
2 medium carrots diced
1/2 head of broccoli
4 fresh corn (cut)
1 cup of fresh peas
3 cans of clam chowder (buy a good quality one)
2 cups of milk
sprinkle of celery seed (or you can use 2 celery sticks if you like)
3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1 large garlic clove minced
4 Chicken legs or Two chicken breasts



The Pie Part
2 cups of Bisquick mix (make this bulk version from cooks.com and never have to buy it again!)
1 cup of milk
3/4 cup of grated cheese
1/4 cup of flour



Put butter in a large heavy pot and melt over medium heat.  Add shallots, carrots, corn, broccoli, garlic, salt and pepper and cook until tender.  Add clam chowder, milk, garlic, celery, fresh peas and chicken.  Cook until it has thickened a bit and the chicken is cooked.

Once the chicken is cooked, remove the chicken and cut it up.  Return the chicken to the pot and stir.

Serve some of the soup as it is or freeze some for later.  I usually remove the amount I need for the pot pie and place it in the dish I will use.


Pot Pie Part

Mix the Bisquick mix, flour and grated cheese together.  Make a well in the middle and add the milk.  Stir with a fork and form it into a ball.  If it is very sticky add a little more floor.  It should feel soft and  a little sticky not wet.  Turn dough onto a work surface and shape into the shape of your dish making sure it is not more than 2/4 of an inch.


Use a sharp knife (it will make them rise higher) to cut the dough into diamonds.  Place the dough on the dish and brush with butter.  Place in a very hot oven (425) and bake for 15-18 minutes (until the tops are golden brown.

From our kitchen to your table.

Heard around the table...
"Mom you are the best maker." Kiran
"Amazing." Greg
"Can I have some more biscuits please?" Cohen
"Yummy, Yummy for my tummy!" Kiran
Pin drops, crickets chirping, pregnant pauses. Hannah

3 comments:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oh, my! That looks like pure comfort food! YUM!

Have a blessed day!
Sherry

Unknown said...

That looks wonderful Myrtle!

You have an award waiting on my blog!

Lisa

I am all a twitter about life

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas said...

Wow! This looks like it is out of a cookbook. Great recipe and great pictures!

~Sarah