background

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I'll Keep You


"I'll keep you forever.  And even when you die I will keep you."  Cohen 4.75 years old


Love stories are not just between man and woman, but also between mother and son.  My son woes me with his words.  His expression of gratitude stirs my thoughts.  Thoughts of God's blessings for our family.  




 Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house; your sons will be like olive shoots  around your table. Psalm 128:3 (New International Version)


My son is very active.   The kind that wakes up running out of bed every morning.  He runs constantly.  He runs to the bathroom, downstairs to grandma, to the kitchen, to sit in his chair.  He never stops.  My son unravels me.  I like my mornings calm and quiet.  Not much to say, more to reflect and plan.  I get up early so I can hold the quiet.  I cherish it and sit with it until I hear those racing footsteps.  Cohen has landed.  


I was the quiet, hands folded, ankles crossed, ribbons in your hair kind of child.  I knew how to be quiet and how to be still.  My mother rarely had to discipline me in public.  Her look was enough to quiet any mischief that stirred in my heart.  I was so mindful of her and her expectations.  How very opposite my son and I are.  I struggle to meet his need for speed and action.  I struggle to sit with his constant need for movement.  Sometimes I wonder if someone is more perfect for him.  Is there someone out there who he could get to sit with his running?  


Then his words come floating into the room.  A reminder that God has chosen me.  He has chosen me to guide our boy's steps and nurture his heart.  I take in the gracious words.  In big mouthfuls.  I let his words swirl like a poplar seed into my heart.   My heart grows love for his boy.  The dawn to dusk action still throws me.  But I'll keep him too.  We were made for each other.

"One of the characteristics of the olive tree is the production of sprouts at its base...(I)n Bible days olives were often grown directly from the sprouts. The olive farmer would select sprouts from his best trees, carefully remove them, and plant them where they would be carefully tended. Psalm 128:3 may be a reference to this practice-"your sons will be like olive shoots round your table". http://www.odu.edu/~lmusselm/plant/bible/olive.php

Photo property of author and used with permission.

No comments: