background

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Buttercup Pie

Uncooked buttercup squash bathed in a yummy orange colour!
We have been visiting our favourite farm stand like crazy.  Hy Hope Farms is in Ashburn, Onatario.  Very close to where we live.  We have developed a serious addiction to this place.  (It's because they make the best butter tarts...oh my I just had one.)  Anyway, we cannot get enough of those little tarts and those beautifully coloured Buttercup squashes.  My mom usually makes this savoury pie that we have at Christmas and I thought why not make a similar pie but with buttercup squash instead.  My mom's pie is soft and fluffy with just the right amount of seasoning.  We usually use a caribbean fruit called breadfruit to make the pie.  Breadfruit is closer to the texture of sweet potatoe but white in colour.  It has a natural sweetness and nutty flavour similar the buttercup squash.



I also have developed a liking to making my own Bisquick recipe.  I use this one from cooks.com.  Because I made a lot, I like to find ways to use it. I store it in a large air tight container and keep it with the other flour products.


2 Buttercup Squash
1 Cup of milk
3 eggs
1 cup of bisquick mix (Make your own- so so so easy!)
3 tablespoons of sugar
3 teaspoons of salt
2 teaspoons of pepper (I love white pepper but you can use black)



Preheat oven to 350.  Cut the squashes in half and place on a cookie sheet.  Roast until cooked.  (Approx. 35 minutes).  Remove from oven. (Do not turn the oven off.)  Peel the skin that forms on the inside and outside.  Mix until smooth.  Whisk the milk, eggs, bisquick mix, sugar, salt and pepper until smooth.  Add mixture to buttercup.  Whip this mixture on medium speed until combined.  Do not over mix.  Pour mixture into pie dish.  (You can add some cheese if you like.)  Bake until mixture is set and top is crisp. (20-25 minutes).  Remove from oven and serve.



From our kitchen to your table.

9 comments:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oh, this sounds delish! I've never heard of buttercup squash. Is it similar to a pumpkin ?

Alex Johnson said...

Those look delicious!

Misty said...

That looks so good! i just love squash. How creative!

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone!
Sherry- it is similar to butterNUT squash and pumpkin. It has a natural sweet and nutty flavour. I would have added 1 more egg and a little more bisquick mix! We had your Cowgirl casserole for lunch! It is now a staple. I can't wait to try your buffalo chicken.

Misty said...

oh, yum! this looks like an excellent recipe to add to our family's vegetarian lifestyle! especially for thanksgiving, and fall in general! can't wait to try it! would you serve it w/ just a salad or is it more inteded to be a side?

Anonymous said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You ~Ron

Prairie Story said...

Yum... ok when I first started reading your post i was thinking you were going to put buttertart filling in the butternut squash. it's been a long day! BTW I have a receip swap on my blog every Thursday - hope you can stop by! http://prairiestory.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

This is absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's always a breath of fresh air to find another Christ-follower on the Web!

Its A Blog Party said...

Sounds fantastic!
Thanks for linking up!
~Liz